Beef Lasagne With Eggplant And Cherry Tomatoes
2 Hours Prep
Crème fraiche is the hero of this fantastic lasagne. Complete with cherry tomatoes and beef mince, this recipe is fast becoming a Latina™ Fresh Team favourite. The recipe serves 6 to 8, and is great with a fresh rocket salad.
- 1 onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 small carrots, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- Olive oil
- 1 eggplant, diced
- 500g lean beef mince
- ¼ cup red wine
- Sprig of rosemary, chopped
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 700g tomato passata
- 375g packet Latina™ Fresh Lasagne Sheets
- 200g tub crème fraiche
- ¹⁄3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 150g mozzarella or bocconcini cheese, torn
- Finely dice the onion, carrot, celery & garlic in a food processor. Heat a generous amount of olive oil in a large saucepan over low heat and cook the onion mixture for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add eggplant, increase heat to medium and cook a further 4 minutes.
- Add beef mince and cook, stirring, 5 minutes, or until browned. Add wine and cook until evaporated. Season with salt and pepper and add rosemary. Add cherry tomatoes & passata, cook, covered, over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160° fan forced). Layer the sauce and lasagne sheets in a 30cmx20cm deep ovenproof dish, starting and finishing with a sauce layer. Blend crème fraiche with 2 tablespoons of water to create a white sauce. Spoon over meat sauce. Scatter with Parmesan cheese. Place mozzarella cheese pieces on top.
- Cover with baking paper and foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove paper and foil, bake a further 10 minutes or until golden. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve lasagne with a fresh rocket salad.